Day 134 Kenya : Baragoi

a_P1000495 a_P1000493 At last having had a good sleep, we woke up relatively early to prepare some coffee and breakfast.  Last night I had planned to make some bread at breakfast when Iain had asked if I would teach him to bake bread and to cook it in the pot over the fire.  Anja also wanted to learn.  So after a breakfast of, surprise, surprise, porridge I set up the table for a quick lesson in campfire bread-making.

In the meantime, Adrian came over to say goodbye.  They were striking their camp and, after a 2 week leave in his hometown of Nairobi (and an invitation to visit when we got there), would be setting up at another spot.  Off he went leaving us to our devices.

So breadmaking lessons started and 30 minutes later, Iain and Anja set their bread aside to prove a_P1000496 .  Anja had decided to make bread rolls and Iain a loaf.  An hour later the bread was put into the pot on the fire to bake and 20 minutes later, rolls.  They came out perfectly and Iain and Anja were suitably proud!  a_RIMG1567

The rest of the day passed by slowly with us catching up on reading and updating diaries.  Donkey 2 took a bit of a shine to Iain. a_SG105030

Whilst we were sitting around the fire, we had several "visitors" standing around and staring at the mad mzungus!  Without Adrian and his team to keep them back, Iain became the man of the moment as he used his firm but gentle approach to get them to stop staring and move off. 

As we were running low on provisions, Iain offered to go back into Baragoi to shop for us.  With a list prepared, he set off.  As he drove out of the camp our most persistent visitor arrived.  A bloke in his mid-twenties in traditional dress and carrying a knobkerrie decided that as Sully was started (we were actually charging the camera batteries and laptops), we were preparing to leave and wanted a lift into Baragoi.  No dissuading him from this thought helped.  Switching off the engine only made him walk closer.  Eventually he went to sit down on one of the camp chairs and I chased him off, so he sat down next to the fire and waited.  For what, we have no idea.  But it looked like he thought that it was his right to make himself at home in front of the communal fire.  3 hours later Iain arrived back into camp and with a firm grip of the blokes arm and holding his stick, Iain marched him out of camp and placed him under a tree about 100m away.  A while later we checked where he was but he had just disappeared.  One after another "visitors" appeared, stood around, walked closer and stared and it was becoming a real irritation to all of us.  Eventually we decided that we had camped alongside a well-used track (although we were well off the road) so we decided to press on the next day.